Amritsar Incident – The REAL RAVAN – Insensitive Morons!
Time: 6.45pm / Day & Date: Friday, October 19, 2018
Venue: Joda Phatak Amritsar / Event: Ravan Dahan Dusshera Utsav
It’s been 20+hours now since the tragic, ill-fated & ghastly incident occurred at the Joda Phatak, Amritsar. Two trains speeding in opposite directions mow down a crowd of Dusshera revelers watching burning of the Ravana effigy. “Epics say, this marks the victory of good over evil” – But does it really?
Unfortunately, it was not just the effigy that perished; but also 60 odd innocent lives of gullible souls, gathered around to witness this annual event. Here is what follows next:
- The local residents cry foul and express resentment by shouting slogans of protest against the railway authorities/ government/ civic bodies for the incident. Most joining this agitation have no specific interest but feel privileged to support the cause. The agenda doesn’t seem defined, the anger is motiveless, the expectations fail to get communicated, the questions fall short & answers remain buried. An activist led procession that steadily fades with time.
- Immediate rescue operations kick start under instructions of the concerned ministers, ex-gratia payments get announced for the family of the deceased/ injured. Saturday is declared as an official mourning of the state. Offices and Institutions remain closed. Twitter is flooded with notes of condolences and compensations. Foreign trips get cancelled and duly notified across media.
- The media [tries to] cover this incident from Vantage point spanning all facets and gradually politicizing it to name a party, shame a name, garner eyeballs, milk ad-moolahs, twist questions to obtain expected answers etc without even trying to address the real issue. The panel-based shows having eminent personalities from opposition/ ruling party, local authorities, couple of victims and the channel editor howling on top of his/ her voice demanding answers/ solutions for this incident.
- Defense mechanisms splash all over the news – Ministers defending their seats/ spouses/ parties/ self, Railways defending their institution/ authorities, local bodies defending their event-arrangements, public defending their faiths, family, friends etc.
- The religious gurus, pundits continue to isolate the incident by linking it to some misfortune and offering solutions that would bring opulence (to their pockets of-course). Few past events of similar nature be brought up to amplify the magnitude of this event, cross-examine the cause-effect and post-mortem the current incident. Baseless & Senseless conclusions find a place amidst the chaos and the real thing goes extinct.
- Most others consider this a cosmic extensive alignment of the stars to have chosen this auspicious day for the departed souls to unite with the almighty. Prayers will be offered in the name of RELIGION and faiths of the ones with loss will be played around with.
All this and much more makes one think WHO IS THE REAL RAVAN here? Don’t we all seem to possess or be possessed by the RAVAN inside us?
- A protest with an agenda of disturbing the routine and creating unrest for others with clueless motive and blind dependence on the controlling power only describes the EVIL RAVAN within. Instead a peaceful movement (independent of any political supremacy) chalking out the impending course of action, re-visiting the event arrangement to avoid future casualties, issuance of notices and circulars to address schedules and timelines, volunteer based marshalling etc could be more effective, isn’t it? Because what’s happened, has happened. But what may happen can be well approached to ensure it doesn’t get repeated.
- While media should be playing an important part of being an unbiased channel of communicating facts; its is with shame I want to express that the RAVAN of “I”, “Me” & “Myself” has engulfed it completely. The race of being the first to report a news is so fierce and competitive that it has simply become a data point to milk opportunity and clock higher [revenue/ TRP] numbers. But doesn’t the real thing get blanketed under these ambitious aspirations? [Non-skippable] Ads of an Online Retail platform just before the braking story only implies importance of ‘Grabbing of deals’ over ‘Grieving for dead’.
- Using the social platforms to announce compensations, to cancel foreign trips, as defense strategies or update the developments only signifies the RAVAN who believes in ‘unreal noise’ than ‘real action’. Shouldn’t “this” be burnt to death? Have these platforms ever been used to check if the compensations have reached the families; Or jobs provided wherever necessary; Or follow-up plans executed to look for the recovery of the injured; or effective arrangements deployed to avoid such unforeseen incidents in future; Or necessary training imparted to volunteers etc?
- Innocent beings falling prey to moron torch bearers of religion and faith are also in possession of a RAVAN called “fear”. It is this fear that gets taken advantage of and played around with. Its high time we inculcate a thought that good deeds and not blind faith beget fortune. Its time we stand against this demon of fabricated “fear of faith” and abolish the mindless stupidity of gurus, babas and pundits.
The RAVAN effigy at the Joda Phatak ground (or anywhere) only symbolizes a poet’s imagination of the face of terror and evil. The burning signifies its demolition. Shouldn’t we all just unite to demolish the insensitive RAVAN within us and be more human & humane? Can we not have a Dusshera of a different kind? The question therefore: WHO/ WHAT is the REAL RAVAN??